Wednesday, February 2, 2011

sNOw, there's NO snow-day!

Snow does not have the same meaning as when I lived in Austin, or growing up in Houston. I think it snowed in 1988 one winter in Houston; we feverishly made teeny tiny snowmen and took many pictures that featured in our family photo album. Then, in 2005 it "iced" for a couple of days in Austin, and everything closed; I fell on the ice, and was afraid to drive out of the driveway. Those were the last memories of snow until my great adventure to the Texas Panhandle.

Unbearably cold temperatures entered West Texas this week without knocking. Today, this very morning, it was a mere 1 degree. It seems laughable, but it really was only one degree. I have adapted tremendously to this kind of lifestyle; you know, leaving the house when it's cold/snowy/icy. I got up this morning and in the sub teen degree temperature I went to the gym, ran four miles on the dreadmill, then drove very slowly home. It continued to snow all day, classes at Texas Tech were still being held, and business was as usual in Lubbock. I will admit I am pretty jealous of all of my non-Lubbock, Texas friends who have had three consecutive "snow days." I want to stay home in my jammies and watch movies all day-- even if the electricity goes out every fifteen minutes, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment